Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Anticipating the new

Here we go 2016.
I guess I could say that looking forward to a new year fills me with great excitement but also with a little bit of anxiety. I've had a few exciting years here lately. While I am so grateful for the work that God has done and is doing in my life and heart, I also know that there were some really rough parts in there. While I don't like the hard parts of life, they allow me to see Him so much more clearly, and for that I'm incredibly grateful.
I made some resolutions for this year; Things like running more, volunteering, reading more, meeting and building friendships with my neighbors and writing more. All of these are important things and things that I know will be so rewarding and grow me into a better person.
I also made some goals; things like being more aware of people around me, being present especially when I have opportunity to invest in people, showing grace, knowing God more and being sensitive to the Holy Spirit. Now that I have the goals, I'm working on breaking that down in practical steps to make sure that I'm working towards these things.
I read a book last summer called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. In the book she said she had so many great things but that she should be happier. She set out to make a plan to become happier. I know that happiness comes and goes, but it was interesting to read about the tweaks she made in her life so that she would be happier... In a quick summary, I would say that the main thing she did was to take away distractions and focus on what was important. While I am so grateful for the things I have been given, that gratefulness doesn't always come across in my attitude. So I guess in a nutshell, my resolution for 2016 is first to be grateful and to live a way that shows it.

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:11-13, 19

No comments: