Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My favorite kind of Saturday

Hard work never hurt nobody. True. It actually helps everybody.
Some of my favorite memories growing up involved a lot of long, hard work. When we woke up on Saturday mornings we knew that it was going to be a work day. And it was normal. The fun thing was that we would all be working together. Dad would give us jobs to do and he would come back and check on us every once in a while. But the best part was when he would be satisfied with our work and we would feel like a million bucks.
I had been wanting to plant our garden ever since I came back from Ohio. Last Saturday I woke up and the house was strangely quiet. I looked out the window and saw dad, mom, Josh and Tim in the garden. I was so excited and knew it was going to be a good day. I went out and we pulled out all of the dead, dried up plants and whatever weeds we could. Then dad started giving out jobs and I volunteered to mow. What a job. It took 2 times to get all the tall grass down, Bekah, Michelle and Tim picked up the grass while Josh used the Weedeater. Dad cooked steaks and hot dogs on the grill for lunch and then we got back to work and tilled the garden, planted our new seeds and then Jon and Paul came home and the guys put cement in the small garden pond. We watched and enjoyed a gorgeous day and family.
Boy, I'm sure glad mom and dad decided to have all us kids! Many hands make light work.(--Mom always said this to us.)

No comments: